Sunday, April 19, 2015

Interracial couples

Listening to the audiobook for Americanah.  There is a moment in the book where the main character discuss how bite men are not interested in black women, and if so then only the light skinned women.  This small quip got me thinking and I've found myself noticing those mixed couples throughout this weekend.  Turns out that I have seen four couples in three days where the man was white and the woman was a fairly dark African American woman.  I even say an interracial gay couple where it was a white man and an extremely dark man.  It first shot the author's statement to hell and second surprised me.  As a white man I have not gotten much attention from dark African American women and I have always been rather open when it comes to dating.  Heck I'm married to a Puerto Rican woman from the Bronx.  The discussion on race also got me looking at tv shows and how white people are portrayed.  I will immediately concede that African Americans and other races have been very negatively portrayed in television throughout thee ages.  Recently though, I've found the tables turned.  White people in television shows such as Blackish, fresh off the boat, Ro , and other shows with a main cast not being white have shown the white people in a. Dry negative way.  The Steve Harvey show only had white characters who were stupid or ignorant, the same with Moesha. Fresh off the boat portrays all of the white people in Orlando as presidiums and ignorant.  It is hard to see this and think that is how other people see white people in America.  The reactions and assumptions people make about me without bothering to get to know me just because of my skin color and how my group is portrayed in society.  White men in the United States are racist (intentional or unintentional).  White men have money from the work of other races.  White men don't know the struggle.  Have people seen trailer parks in the south?  They aren't all what is portrayed on media and television.  White, black, Latino, all struggling to make ends meet.  All trying to survive in today's economy.  When the white man was passing out favors and opportunities to other white men, they must have skipped me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment